When I read God's Word, I hear Him speak

Since 1998, I have been reading God's Word nearly daily. Through my time with Him, I hear God speak to me. It's not audible. God just makes His Word evident to me. Those lessons are many times reinforced by messages delivered by teaching pastors and sharing with others who study God's Word. I used to write the messages in the margins of my Bible. Needless to say, my Bible is filling up with messages. In 2006, I started to be more intentional about writing God's lessons to me in a journal. Because God is just sharing so much with me, I feel the burning need to share with others. (Jeremiah 20:9) I am hoping that through this blog, folks will join me as we read, hear God and discuss what we've learned. This isn't so we can simply increase our knowledge about God or to spout off Scripture to impress people. This is so we can really come to know God, and get a greater meaning of His truths so we can go out and live them. God said that if we love Him, then we will obey His commands. (John 4:23-24) And James said don't just listen to (or read) the Word and think that's good enough; you're just deceiving yourself. Live the Word. (Rose's paraphrase of James 1:22) It's similar to this great quote people are passing around now... Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. So, join me as we learn from God and what He wants us to do. Then let's encourage one another to live it as a testimony to God so that people know He is who He says He is.



Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Word for me… What if I said ‘No’?


I’m in the midst of a large project – you could easily call it a God-sized project because this effort is way beyond my abilities and the abilities of one individual. This project is taking a team of individuals – a team of exceptionally smart and knowledgeable people to manage. Many on the team are recognized experts in their fields. Me? On this team, I am the least significant person in terms of education and expertise. I typically quip that, “I’m an art major” when I feel underqualified in the sea of PhDs. The project has involved over 1,700 community members to-date to provide input into the project thereby shaping its outcome. Mostly, this project is something that I see God’s hand involved and truly, something that only God could dream and complete. Yet He has called an entire community to participate in this effort of His. I can only guess and assume why He’s doing this but, the point being is, He is doing this and He is revealing it to me and others who believe in Him and it is amazing to watch.


As I have been participating in this project for the last five years, I have felt like Joseph and Moses. Partly because when I look back at my crazy, little life, I now see where everything had a purpose; a purpose that has prepared me for ‘right here’ and ‘right now’. Joseph must have felt that way when he was Prime Minister of Egypt and looked back at his crazy life with all of its zigs and zags, ups and downs and how each turn of events finally had a purpose when Joseph was elevated to prime minister. I feel like Moses because he was called out of obscurity to participate in a God-sized effort. Certainly if Moses knew all of the details he would have said, “absolutely, no way” when God called him. Yet, here is this incapable man leading an entire community in all of his ineptness, following God’s lead and getting into situations where the next step looked impossible. Suddenly, God moves and when He moves, the next step opens into a clear avenue of direction and the enemy preventing the movement, falls away.


At times I feel like Mary when she is told she is the favored one of God and her reply is, “How is this going to happen? I believe you so let it be done.” She was just a nobody, somewhere between 13 and 16 years old from a backwater town when she was called. Other times, I feel like Abram’s wife Sarai when she responds to God by saying, “You’re going to do this now? Yeah right.” At times, I feel like the disciples of Christ wondering how they must of felt – a little like Arnold Horshack from Welcome Back Cotter – “Ooo! Ooo! Pick me! Pick me!”


What I have learned through all of this process is that God didn’t ‘need’ me to complete this effort and if I said ‘no way’ to His call then He would have called ‘the next person.’  Just like God called Terah and Terah stopped mid-journey so later, God called Terah’s son Abram (Abraham). Abraham simply said ‘yes’ to God’s call and that is why we read about him. If Peter, James and John didn’t say ‘yes’ to God’s call then who would we have read about instead of them? If Paul didn’t say ‘yes’ to God’s call then who would have written most of the New Testament? If Mary didn’t say ‘yes’ to God’s call then who would have been the earthly mother of our Lord? God would have called the next person. These people aren’t extraordinary and that’s why each was called. These people simply said ‘yes’ to God’s call, believed Him at His initial Word and thereby became extraordinary through the experience as God shaped them through their calling.


God doesn’t need any of us. He could simply speak it and it – whatever ‘it’ is – would happen and come into being. However, He asked me to participate in this amazing effort so I could watch Him, witness firsthand what He’s doing, tell others about Him, and be a part of the community He is building  – the working body. This is not community with walls, streets, buildings, infrastructure and ordinances, although in this project it is a physical community too. This is community where people come together working to support one another – the whole, “Love God, Love others” in action. With all of this, I had a choice. Believe God and accept His offer to join Him. Not believe Him and reject His offer to join Him. I chose to believe and accept and I haven’t regretted one moment.


Over the last year, I have been concerned about getting out ahead of God; turning my agenda into "His plan." Misinterpreting His lead and His direction thereby becoming overconfident in my actions missing the quiet corrections God is providing. I don’t want to take credit for His work although He has given me much honor during this process. I don’t want to panic or lose hope in this process although this effort is daunting. I don’t want this effort to turn into a chore where I begin to resent the process or those involved although, I have at times. Mostly, I don’t want to misrepresent God and miss the opportunity to show others who God is by showing them what He is doing. Yet, daily, I misrepresent God or choose to ignore the Holy Spirit’s corrections. As a result, I have been praying asking God to lead and lead clearly and strongly placing me in my place when I stray. And He is doing that.


Typical of my relationship with God, when I am wrestling with the whole “who God is, who He is not; who I am with God and who I am without God,” He speaks to me through Scripture and things I see and hear. I don’t seek out specific Scripture; He just speaks to me wherever I am in Scripture and then leads me to the answer. While in Luke 20, God revealed His plan for me concerning this project. It was one of those moments when you’re reading Scripture and suddenly you know that God is talking to you. When that happens, I usually pause asking Him if He means for this passage to apply to me. Rereading the passage again and again, there becomes this presence of, “Yes; this is for you.”


Those times are overwhelming because, while at the same time you know the Scripture is meant for you, I also question, “Why me? Why are You being so caring for me because I’m a nobody?” The truth in that belief-disbelief moment causes me to focus on the truth of God. He doesn’t need me. I’m not deserving of His attention. I haven’t earned this privilege. When God speaks specifically to me it’s because of who God is. He called me to participate in what He is doing. If I had said ‘no’ to His offer, God would have asked another person to do the role I’m doing. However, I said yes. He has already ordained this plan – with or without me. He said it, so it will happen. However, since I said yes to Him, He will be before me, behind me, beside me, causing His plan to come to fruition even in my ineptness. Even in my failures. He will see it through and not abandon me or forsake me. He is capable. And since I am seeking Him in all of ‘this’ – since I am wanting to be in His will, in His plan, not wanting to be against Him or in front of Him – God said He would protect me. My confidence in stepping out in faith is increasing.


In some sense, I do feel like Esther when she knew she was called for ‘a time like this’ where she was to approach the King on behalf of her people which was a risky action on her part. I feel like the Levites carrying the ark and being asked to step into the flooding Jordan River risking being swept away in its currents. This feeling – almost a understandable knowledge – that you are to do something, take action, going on faith hoping that you heard God correctly and that He will be there for you as you do this action is challenging. There is risk in these challenges and the risk is on all side. What if I fail? What if my failure says something about me and who I am as a person? What if I jeopardize myself and my family? What if people hate me or accuse me of false things? What if I’m vilified? What if I didn’t hear God? What if I am using God for my agenda? What if God gets angry with me? What if God allows me to fail publicly to refine me in the process? What if I don’t do this and miss something really special with God? What if I miss this opportunity to grow closer to God? What if… what if?


During these ‘what if?’ mental battles, I always remember the time when Peter gets out of the boat walking on the water to Jesus. When we read this passage of Scripture, we tend to think about only one side of the story about Peter. He takes his focus off of Jesus, notices the situation he is in – walking ON THE WATER in the MIDDLE of the Sea of Galilea during a STORM in the middle of the NIGHT – and as a result, begins to immediately sink into the water. We like to look at Peter and criticize him for his ‘little faith.’ Instead, we should look at Peter and recognize that, out of all of the disciples in the boat – and there is no telling how many disciples were in the boat because disciples are the student followers not to be confused with the 12 called out as apostles – Peter recognized an opportunity to do something very special with Jesus and he asks to join Jesus on the water. Peter steps out of the boat onto the churning water in the middle of the night, in the middle of the storm and proceeds to walk on top of the water out to Jesus. Who else in the boat stepped out in faith? Who else experienced this event with Jesus? Although Peter got scared by the circumstances around him – and who wouldn’t – thereby experiencing a lapse in faith, Peter stepped out in faith. And, don’t miss this, Jesus was there with him catching Peter when his fear caused him to begin to fail.


Lecrae: Walking on Water

Crowder: I Am


These are the times that I need the Scripture God is using to speak to me. I visually need to read the passages – it’s always more than one passage – to anchor myself to the realities and truths of God in order to calm down, focus on the purpose of the calling, and try not to lose faith in God. This is when I try to stand on the promises and truths of God and not stand on the emotions whirling around me. This is when I need to have solid ground under my feet – the solid ground that only God’s truth can provide. This is when I need His Word to light my way so I see the path, stay on the path and continue to walk forward trying hard to see the sandals of Jesus as He leads on that path. This is when I must surrender, vacating my authority over my life, and allow God to be God. “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10) This is when I must trust. Trust in the unseen. Trust in the unseen God and hope He has not left me. This is when I must stand on the truths of God as stated in Romans 8:28-39.


And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those He predestined, He also called; those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified.


What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all – how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus who died – more than that, who was raised to life – is at the right hand of God (the authority of God) and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For Your sake we face death all day long;

We are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

(Psalm 44:22)


No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither heights nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


The Voice of Truth – Casting Crowns

He Said – Group One Crew

Our God – Chris Tomlin (This song has been one of my God-given theme songs for the last few years)


The “Word for me” began in Luke 20 where Jesus is teaching in the temple courts in Jerusalem. The chief priests of the temple publicly question Jesus asking from whom bestowed His authority to interpret Scripture – to teach the meaning of Scripture, to teach about God and God’s kingdom. A chief priest was a priest given official authority to rule over the religious practices of the nation of Israel – God’s called-out people – and the authority to intervene with God on behalf of the people. Jesus shows up on the scene many times teaching, calling students to be His followers, healing, mentoring, converting, acting in the capacity of one given that official authority. A rabbi with semikhah. A rabbi that received authority from two semikhah rabbis with the ability to interpret Scripture as designated by God. The chief priests were upset that this Jesus was operating in their role and He wasn’t one of "them" nor had they given Him permission.


So, the chief priests question Jesus on the origin of his authority. “Who gave you the authority?” As a typical rabbi, Jesus answers back with a question. However, Jesus knew where these men were coming from and why they were asking Him about His authority. In true rabbinical character, Jesus answers the chief priests with a question – yet, check out the question because it contains the answer to the chief priests’ question. Jesus answers with the question, “Was John’s baptism from heaven or from man?” The priests now wrestle with the question because they knew John was a rabbi with authority to interpret scripture. Although the Bible doesn’t specifically say who John trained under, we know he was a Nazarene in terms of his vows of life towards God, and John’s calling on his life was foretold to his father Zechariah a temple priest who would have told others about John’s calling on his life. John was a recognized semikhah rabbi and considered by many, during his time, to be a prophet of God so John had authority to interpret scripture probably bestowed upon him by his two teachers who would have been recognized authorities. Since the chief priests couldn’t deny John’s authority, they really couldn’t deny Jesus’ authority and just answered their own question… and they knew it and were upset. Because Jesus was publicly bestowed the authority to teach by John the Baptist and God Himself at the baptism of Jesus. In a sense, Jesus answered the chief priests’ question.


During this tete-a-tete exchange between the chief priests and Jesus, Jesus turns to the people He is teaching and tells them a parable about Israel. (This parable reminds me of the current situation in my community, too.) He compares Israel to a vineyard – which was the common metaphor for Israel – “God’s Vineyard” – and the relationship the caretakers of the vineyard – the religious leaders of the nation – have with God. Jesus says that God planted this vineyard (Israel) and leased it to tenant caretakers to care for the vineyard on His behalf (the priests and religious leaders of Israel). When it was time for God to enjoy some of the fruits from the vineyard (His people Israel), God sent His servants (the prophets) to acquire some of the fruit. Each servant that was sent to the tenant caretakers of the vineyard, was refused any of the fruit by the tenants. (Remember, the vineyard owner is asking for the fruits of His property and the caretakers have no claim of ownership over this vineyard or its fruit.) Instead the tenants beat each of the owner’s servants, wounding one, refusing to accommodate their landlord’s request. The landlord/owner of the vineyard (God) now determines to send His Son as His representative to acquire some of the fruit of His vineyard – His property. This should have been immediately accommodated as a direct request from the owner Himself as the Son – the heir of the estate; the first born – is recognized as having one in the same authority as the owner. The heir has the recognized right to represent the father in his business and personal matters. (Here is another point about the bestowed authority to represent God made by Jesus.) The tenants instead of acquiescing to the owner’s request now kick the heir out of His vineyard and kill the heir with the misguided assumption that this will cause the ownership of the vineyard to be transferred to them the tenants. Jesus then says that this action will now cause the vineyard owner – God – to directly come to the tenants and take actions to remove them as caretakers of His property, punish them with the same measure they exerted on His servants and Son – destroying them since they killed the Son – and then giving it to another group to manage. The chief priests and the people listening to this parable understood the story and its implications so that their response to Jesus on the punishment enacted by the vineyard owner was, “Surely not!” Yet Jesus, not shrinking from this pointed prophetic outcome looks directly at the priests saying (Rose’s paraphrase), “Well then; tell me what this Scripture means, if you think I’m wrong: ‘The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. (capstone) Everyone who falls on the stone will be broken to pieces but, he on whom it falls will be crushed.’?” All of a sudden, I tripped over the “stone the builders rejected”, starting with the prophetic meaning of this passage and was then led on an explanation journey which would reveal what God wanted me to learn personally. Even though this is one of the verses that is read and referred to often, even though the meaning of the verse is commonly known in Christian circles and evident, God was teaching me something personal with this verse. It was about to become real to me.


“The stone the builders rejected. The stone the builders rejected.” After looking at the cross reference notes for this passage Jesus quotes, I am led to Psalm 118 and Isaiah 8:5-15 and THAT is when God showed up.


Psalm 118:22 and Isaiah 8:9-10 are the portions of Scripture that support Luke 20:17 – “The stone the builder rejected” and “broken to pieces.” I thought, “OK. I get it Jesus. I see where you referenced Scripture to make your point. And I know you’re the cornerstone but, what does this all mean and why is this for me?” I start reading the footnotes and margin reference notes in my study Bibles looking for clues. I seem to remember a story about the way Solomon required the temple to be built in silent respect to God. It wasn’t in 1 Kings having looked there but, I had hoped that it was in 1 Chronicles or referenced in the Prophets. No such luck. So, I do what anyone else would do… I Google it and to my surprise, I find the reference. This story about how Solomon’s temple was built is not Scriptural however, the reasoning for this is scriptural (Exodus 20:25; Deuteronomy 27:5-6). The traditional story goes like this:


It was said that when King Solomon began the construction of God’s temple, acting on the plans his father King David provided, Solomon required that no sound of cutting and dressing the stones be heard at the temple site (probably in respect to God saying several times about the construction of previous alters that those alters were to be made of stones not cut by human hands – Exodus 20:25; Deuteronomy 27:5-6). Instead, Solomon required that the stones be cut and dressed at the quarry, according to the temple plans, then transported to the temple site to be installed into place. The cornerstone was cut, dressed and sent to the temple builders early in the construction process but, the builders didn’t recognize that stone as the cornerstone. Tradition says the builders set the stone in a field, not knowing where it belonged in the temple thinking the cutters made a mistake, and continued building the temple. Over time, weeds grew over the cornerstone in the field while the temple was being finished. When it was time to install the cornerstone, the builders requested it be sent from the quarry. The masons sent back the message that the stone was already sent to which the builders remembered the odd stone in the field. Locating and uncovering it, the builders now install this rejected stone as the cornerstone in the temple. So, the stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.


With the word “cornerstone” it can mean ‘cornerstone’ or ‘capstone’ and either reference is correct in terms of how you view the impact of Jesus in your life. After reading all of these passages of Scripture, I tend to think the word should be defined by its ceremonial meaning. In some cases, the cornerstone was the first foundation stone laid during construction whereby each other stone laid for the foundation would be laid in relation to the cornerstone. However, this meaning doesn’t properly explain the Scripture because it says that the builders rejected the cornerstone but it didn’t say that this action led to an improperly laid foundation. The meaning and traditional use of both the cornerstone and the capstone, is a ceremonial stone installed at the end of construction marking the dedicated use of the building including the starting date of construction, the architect and the builder. This is why the cornerstone was installed lastly and it has better application. During the building of the temple the builders followed the plans of God who is the architect to build a place where people could worship God in Spirit and in truth.


The same thing applies to our lives. The architect is God, our birth is the starting date, we (and others) are the builders of our lives and our lives are to be the temples of God. Once we make a decision to surrender our lives to the Lordship of Jesus Christ choosing to follow Him, Jesus is now installed as the cornerstone of our lives. We dedicate our reborn lives, our hearts, which is who we are to Jesus Christ who is the architect of our lives. “Don’t you know that you are the temple of the Holy Spirit?” (1 Corinthians 6:19) As we “build” our lives going through all its zigs-and-zags due to decisions and circumstances of which God allowed through free choice, He foreknew those decisions and circumstances allowing them to shape our lives. He foreknew our eventual decision, date, time to choose Jesus as Lord and dedicate our lives to Him. Because He foreknew, He predestined that those decisions and circumstances would shape our lives for His purpose. He ordained our lives and caused everything to work according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28-39) Along the way, we also rejected Jesus as the architect of our lives many times throwing Him out of our lives where He stayed until discovered. Then one day, realizing who’s we are, we call upon Jesus as the reason for our lives. He is installed and becomes the cornerstone of our lives – of our temples – and at that time, the stone the builder rejected has become the cornerstone of our temple. On our temples, the cornerstone notes the dedicated purpose, the date of construction, the architect and the builder(s).


The portion of Luke 20:18 that says this cornerstone will break men into pieces or crush them harkens from Isaiah 8:5-15 specifically 8:14-15. Isaiah is telling the southern kingdom Judah of the impending war it will have with its northern sister-kingdom Ephraim (Israel) who has sided with Syria to take over Judah. Judah, on the other hand, doesn’t rely completely on God for its protection and provision. Instead, Judah contracts with Assyria to fight Israel and Syria. God says through Isaiah that this contract will be Israel’s near destruction as the Assyrians will nearly drown Judah as it overflows into its kingdom nearly taking it over. Yet God, in His faithfulness and mercy, will defend Judah because of His promises He made to Judah – O Immanuel “God is with us.” God says that the people of Judah (southern Israel) will be broken to pieces during this war as the people see the near destruction it invited into its kingdom yet also witness the hand of God at work for them. The attacking countries will be crushed by God for attacking His people. In the process of war and the realization of what Judah did, it will be broken to pieces as it throws itself onto God. The parts of Judah that are not of God will be broken off so that it can recognize who God is, give God the glory and recognize who it is with and without God. This passage of Scripture explains how everyone who falls on the Lord will have their selfish lives broken to piece or their selfishness will be broken off of them and how those that completely reject God will eventually be crushed entirely.


In the case of the cornerstone being Lord God Jesus, those of us who ultimately choose Christ as Lord and as we go about building our lives either indifferent to God or outright rejecting Him, we end up tripping over Him many times where the stuff not of God is broken off of us during those trips and falls. Our lives are broken to pieces by this Cornerstone – the Rock of God. (Genesis 49:24) However, those that ultimately reject Jesus as Lord thereby will eventually experience the wrath of God at judgment, those people will face the Rock falling onto them and crushing them. (Genesis 3:15; Isaiah 8: 7-9)


However, there was more to this Word than just the cornerstone and breaking in pieces. Context was needed to fully understand what God was saying and I knew He wanted me to read beyond these passages. Going back to the beginning of Psalm 118 and reading it in its entirety, it became obvious that this Psalm was the Word for me.


In Psalm 118, God is telling me how the approval process of my project will play out, how my behavior must be and what He will do through this approval process and why. I’ve been rereading it nearly daily out of my English Standard Version study Bible over the month of January and now into February this is how it reads to me:


His Steadfast Love Endures Forever

(An added title for Psalm 118 that I read along with the Psalm)


Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;

For His steadfast love endures forever!


Let Israel say,

“His steadfast love endures forever.”
Let the house of Aaron say,
“His steadfast love endures forever.”


Let those who fear the Lord say,

"His steadfast love endures forever."



His unwavering and unconditional love continues on in a constant state forever. God is agapé.


We have Cheapened the Meaning of Love Rose’s Journal with God


Israel = the Called Out: those who wrestle with God and with whom man is with and without God.


Aaron = He is making us into a royal priesthood; those that serve the Lord. 1 Peter 2:9; Matthew 20:28


Fear the Lord = respect God, in awe of God knowing God is Almighty God; the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, Proverbs 1:7; this is the attitude of your heart towards God


Out of my distress I called on the Lord;

The Lord answered me and set me free.

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear.

What can man do to me?

The Lord is on my side as my helper;

I shall look in triumph on those that hate me.


It is better to take refuge in the Lord

than to trust in man.

It is better to take refuge in the Lord

than to trust in princes.


I am with you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you. Genesis 28:15


No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Joshua 1:5


Romans 8:31; Always – Kristian Stanfill


There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives our fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

I shall pray for those who hate me: Forgive them Father, because they don’t know what they’re doing; turn their hearts towards You.


All nations surround me;

in the name of the Lord I cut them off!

They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side;

in the name of the Lord I cut them off!

They surrounded me like bees;

they went out like a fire among the thorns;

in the name of the Lord I cut them off!

I was pushed hard, so that I was falling,

but the Lord helped me.


In the name of the Lord = in the authority of Jesus our Lord; acting as a representative of Jesus our Lord; Jesus is always seeking God first, truthful, a servant, compassionate, merciful, honest, forgiving, inclusive, kingdom grower, seeking the lost; discerning, direct, factual, applicable


Luke 22:27 For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.


Cut them off = the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. Hebrews 4:12-13


Proverbs 2:1-22 …but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it.


The Lord is my strength and my song;

He has become my salvation.

Glad songs of salvation are in the tents of the righteous:

“The right hand of the Lord does valiantly,

the right hand of the Lord exalts,

the right hand of the Lord does valiantly!"


I shall not die, but I shall live,

and recount the deeds of the Lord.

The Lord has disciplined me severely,

but He has not given me over to death.


Open to me the gates of righteousness,

that I may enter them

and give thanks to the Lord.

This is the gate to the Lord;

the righteous shall enter through it.

I thank you that you have answered me

and have become my salvation.

The stone the builders rejected

has become the cornerstone.

This is the Lord’s doing;

it is marvelous in our eyes.

This is the day that the Lord has made;

let us rejoice and be glad in it.


John 10:7, 9 – I am the gate for the sheep. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.


Righteousness = God’s right and perfect standard

You have allowed me to enter Your temple, through Jesus, that I may love You, commune with You and serve You.


1 Corinthian 6:19 – don’t you know that you are the temple of the Holy Spirit?

I rejected Jesus earlier in my life but, He is now the cornerstone of my life as I live for God. He has saved me from destruction.


The right hand of the Lord = the authority of God = Jesus Christ; Daniel 7:14; Matthew 28:18


Valiantly = fearlessly, boldly, determinedly, resolutely

Exalts = hold in high regard

Death = the enemy of God; permanent, eternal separation from God in hell


Save us, we pray, O Lord!

O Lord, we pray, give us success!

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!

We bless you from the house of the Lord.


The Lord is God,

and He has made His light to shine upon us.

Bind the festal sacrifice with cords,

up to the horns of the altar!


You are my God, and I will give thanks to You;

You are my God; I will extol you.

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;

for His steadfast love endures forever!


Your Word is a lamp to my feet

(a title for Psalm 119 that I read in conjunction to Psalm 118)


On my teapot is the Scripture Psalm 118:24 and I noticed it about one month into this lesson with God. “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” God has ordained this project to happen before time and what He has ordained – what He has determined to allow to happen – will occur as He has prescribed.

Hosanna to the Son of David. Matthew 21:15 Hosanna = save us; Son of David = Messiah = Jesus the Christ


Blessed is the person who comes representing Jesus to the world. Beautiful Feet – Lecrae (has been my prayer song since 2010)


We bless You, Lord, from our hearts and with our actions; Extol = praise enthusiastically


John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.


Festal sacrifice = the peace offering; Jesus was our peace offering, the sacrifice that brought payment/atonement for our inability to live to Gods standards, for our sins, for our debts to God. He gave His life as a ransom for us. We are also to live our lives sacrificing what we want to do, to benefit others. The whole love God, love others. As Jesus was the Lamb of God, the ultimate sheep for slaughter whose life benefitted all of us – those that ultimately chose to follow Jesus and love Him and those that reject Him and hate Him – He died once and for all. We are also sheep that go to slaughter for the benefit of people we love, hate, who know us and do not know us. We are to daily pick up our crosses and follow Jesus, being led by Him and walking on the path He has ordained for us. Matthew 16:24

In the NIV Version, the  verse reads: With boughs in hand, join the festal procession, up to the horns of the altar. The "boughs in hand" are palm branches which were a symbol of the nation of Israel and this meant to engage in warfare against the oppressive enemy nation. For me this is, "join me in the spiritual battle against the darkness that is oppressing the community; join me up to the alter of the One who can free you from this oppression."



I also read Psalm 118 in the NIV version, as it reads slightly differently than the ESV translation. The NIV version reads:


Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good

His love endures forever.


Let Israel say: “His love endures forever.”

Let the house of Aaron say: “His love endures forever.”

Let those that fear the Lord say: “His love endures forever.”


In my anguish I cried to the Lord,

and He answered by setting me free.

The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.

What can man do to me?

The Lord is with me; He is my helper.


It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.

It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.


All nations surrounded me,

but in the name of the Lord I cut them off.

They surrounded me on every side,

but in the name of the Lord I cut them off.

They swarmed around me like bees, but they died out as quickly as burning thorns;

in the name of the Lord I cut them off.

I was pushed back and about to fall, but the Lord helped me.

The Lord is my strength and my song;

He has become my salvation.


Shouts of joy and victory

resound in the tents of the righteous;

The Lord’s right hand has done mighty things!

The Lord’s right hand is lifted high;

The Lord’s right hand has done mighty things!


I will not die but live,

and will proclaim what the Lord has done.

The Lord has chastened me severely,

But He has not given me over to death.


Open the gates of righteousness;

I will enter and give thanks to the Lord

This is the gate of the Lord;

through which the righteous may enter.

I will give you thanks, for you answered me;

You have become my salvation.

The stone the builder rejected

has become the capstone;  

the Lord has done this,

and it is marvelous in our eyes.

This is the day the Lord has made;

let us rejoice and be glad in it.


O Lord save us;

O Lord, grant us success.


Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.

From the house of the Lord we bless you.


The Lord is God,

and He has made His light shine upon us.

With boughs in hand, join the festal procession

up to the horns of the altar.


You are my God, and I will give You thanks;

You are my God, and I will exalt You.

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;

His love endures forever.


In addition to Psalm 118, God also warned me in Isaiah 8:11-15 saying:


For the Lord spoke thus to me with His strong hand upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people (Judah and Ephraim) saying: “Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what they fear, not be in dread. But the Lord of hosts, Him you shall honor as holy. Let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread. And He will become a sanctuary and a stone of offense and a rock of stumbling to both houses of Israel, a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And many shall stumble on it. They shall fall and be broken; they shall be snared and taken.”


My friend Melissa Irwin, while praying one morning for me, emailed me on 1/21/2014 at 7:59 AM to provide the Word of God given to her for me. Luke 21:15, 19 – “ …for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict.” And, “By your endurance, you will gain your lives.”


From all of this I have learned that God is in control. He has ordained this project to succeed and whatever shape that success takes will be revealed in time. I am to trust in Him, His truths, His plans and not that of man or the rulers of our community. I am to seek protection in God and not in others. The enemy will rise up against me and this plan and it will look fierce. The enemy will surround me and appear to be as numerous and challenging as a swarm of bees. However, their offensive attack will quickly die away. The enemy will not be able to stand against God and His plans. At times, I will feel overwhelmed and failing but, God will grab me and keep me from failing. I am to represent Jesus and all Jesus is to people. Seeking God first. Seeking the lost, I must pray for the enemy because they are God’s cherished created people too. And who knows, through this process, they may see God’s hand and turn towards God to be saved. They may trip over Jesus, fall and break into pieces only to establish Jesus as the cornerstone of their lives and THAT is what God wants. He is righting the injustices being done in this area and those that have caused the injustices, if they are not penitent, will be cut off from controlling this land. I am not to worry about the circumstances I see myself in thereby trying to take measures in my own hand. I am not to make treaties with others that can overwhelm this movement of God which will nearly drown me in the process. I am not to fall into the conspiracy discussions from the enemy or from those who will benefit from this effort. I am simply to continue to follow God and when He moves, shout for joy and praise Him for the work He is doing in our community.


These are my prayer songs, some for several years:

God of this City – Chris Tomlin (has been my prophetic prayer song for 2006)

Lose My Soul – Toby Mac (has been my prayer song since 2006)

The Bride (the church) – Lecrae

Losing – Tenth Avenue North (was Lauren’s prayer song in 2012 then became mine in 2013)

God of Angel Armies – Chris Tomlin (One of Sarah's favorite songs and now mine)

Let Them See You - JJ Weeks (My new prayer song during this study)


Lately, I’ve asked Jesus if I can join Him on the water, not to walk but to dance on the water with Him. I want Him to hold me so I can look into His eyes as we throw our heads back, laughing at the storm and celebrating what He can do as we dance on the water. And when the sun comes out, the waves are still and the wind ceases at His command, we – the entire community – can all dance across the water to the shore line.

No comments:

Post a Comment