When I read God's Word, I hear Him speak

Since 1998, I have been reading God's Word nearly daily. Through my time with Him, I hear God speak to me. It's not audible. God just makes His Word evident to me. Those lessons are many times reinforced by messages delivered by teaching pastors and sharing with others who study God's Word. I used to write the messages in the margins of my Bible. Needless to say, my Bible is filling up with messages. In 2006, I started to be more intentional about writing God's lessons to me in a journal. Because God is just sharing so much with me, I feel the burning need to share with others. (Jeremiah 20:9) I am hoping that through this blog, folks will join me as we read, hear God and discuss what we've learned. This isn't so we can simply increase our knowledge about God or to spout off Scripture to impress people. This is so we can really come to know God, and get a greater meaning of His truths so we can go out and live them. God said that if we love Him, then we will obey His commands. (John 4:23-24) And James said don't just listen to (or read) the Word and think that's good enough; you're just deceiving yourself. Live the Word. (Rose's paraphrase of James 1:22) It's similar to this great quote people are passing around now... Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. So, join me as we learn from God and what He wants us to do. Then let's encourage one another to live it as a testimony to God so that people know He is who He says He is.



Monday, July 5, 2010

Am I Double-Minded? Think Again…

So many times I can become pretty smug about my relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Many times I think I'm God's special kid and that I'm getting things correctly. God taught me this lesson one week as I was studying James chapter 4 and basically corrected my vision of myself. God encouraged me to write this as a lesson so when I need a refresher, I can easily remember what He taught me. I'm not who I think I am and God is more than I give Him credit to be.

James 4:1-12

A "righteous" reality-check to refine the believer and place me in right-relationship with my Father

Read James 3:13 - 4:12

Day 1 ~ James 4:1-2
How does having wisdom pertain to the beginning of James 4? What is Godly wisdom? Read Proverbs 11:2. What other verses come to mind anywhere in the Bible that define/illustrate/give meaning to true Godly wisdom? Read Matthew 11:19b.

Think about the word covet. What are all the meanings of covet? Think beyond the obvious. How am I coveting? If coveting is more than money that can be spent, more than physical items to possess, then change the word to 'spend' in verse (James) 4:3 to 'use' and reread James 4:1-3. Any insight? Read Romans 7:7-12. What other verses come to mind anywhere in the Bible that define/illustrate/give meaning to coveting as it applies to me?

How will Godly wisdom keep me from quarreling, arguing, fighting, acting indignantly?

Day 2 ~ James 4:2-4
Think about the very nature of my prayers and petitions to God. With what intentions are each requested when I want something? Am I asking from the right heart or a covetous heart? Read Mark 7:20-23 and James 1:13-15.

What does Jesus say about asking with the right intentions of the heart? Read Matthew 7:6-12. What other verses come to mind anywhere in the Bible that define/illustrate/give meaning to aligning my intentions with God's desire and will for me? How will that manifest itself when God answers? Read Galatians 5:22-24.

Focusing on James 4 verses 2-4; can I be adulterous without committing the obvious act of adultery as defined by man? How and what causes me to be adulterous to God?

Day 3 ~ James 4:5-6
Any insight on verses 4:5-6? What 'spirit' is James speaking of in verse 5? Read Genesis 1:26-27; Romans 7:18-19 and 13:14; Galatians 5:16-26. Now read James 4:5-6. What is the "image of God"? (Think Trinity) If I am created in God's image and I am now a believer, saved from judgement, rejoined to God through Jesus - bought out of slavery - and God confirmed/sealed that purchase by depositing His Spirit within me, then which spirit is envying intensely in me and why? Now, how are believers/Christians created in the image of God? Read 1 Chronicles 28:9; Psalm 4:4 and 7:9; Romans 8:27; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16 and 6:19-20. Any other verses come to mind about God knowing the true intentions of my heart, how His Spirit lives in me and searches my heart, how His Spirit teaches me the truths of God?

Day 4 ~ James 4:6-8
What is the meaning of verse 7, "Submit yourselves, then, to God"? What does it mean to be humble? Humble like a child? Mead Matthew 18:3-4. What does a child do when corrected by a parent? What does a child do when asked to forgive another child? How does he/she act? Now consider what James says in verses 7-8.

Any insight on verse 8b? "Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." What is the difference between 'sinners' and 'double-minded'? Who can see when I am a sinner? Who can know when I am a sinner and double-minded? What are 'hands'? Read Deuteronomy 6:4-9. Consider, if hands = actions, foreheads = thoughts, doorposts = entering and exiting daily of my house = possessions, then what do hands in (James) 4:8b mean? If heart = base, raw and true intentions, then what does heart mean in 8b? Now read James 4:8b with actions and intentions. Am I a double-minded sinner? Read Matthew 6:24 and 15:16-20.

So, if I submit myself to God as a humble child asking Him to purify my heart and strengthen my actions so my actions accurately reflect the Spirit's longing to be connected to God, will the devil flee? Why?

Day 5 ~ James 4:7-12
Relating James 4:7-8, why is the Author of Life asking me to 'grieve, mourn and wail; change my laughter to mourning, joy to gloom and humble ourselves'? When am I happy and at any time is that happiness inappropriate? Why? What makes happiness inappropriate?

Who is my 'brother or sister'? Is that person a Christian believer or a non-believer? If the person is not a believer then why shouldn't I be judging my brother or sister? Reflect on James 4:4a. Grace. What does God give us generously, frequently, unconditionally? Have we deserved His gift of Grace? Read Matthew 5:45. So now reflect on why I shouldn't judge my brother or sister. "There by the Grace of God go John Bradford." John Bradford 1510-1555

"There for the Grace of God go Rose Fagler!"

Read Leviticus 19:17-19. Who has the right and privilege to judge? Am I capable of judging? Read Job 38:4 through 40:4 Who should I really be concerned with when it comes to being in a right relationship? Read Matthew 10:28 and Proverbs 1:7.

Day 6 ~ Reread all of James 3:13 through 4:12
Write a brief summary of what you now believe the Scripture is saying concerning (James 4:1-12) your life and your life with God.

Day 7 ~ Read Matthew 5:22 through 6:4 with fresh eyes concerning what Jesus was telling people about the truths of God, our hearts, our actions manifesting our heart's intentions and where we should be when in right-relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment