When I read God's Word, I hear Him speak

Since 1998, I have been reading God's Word nearly daily. Through my time with Him, I hear God speak to me. It's not audible. God just makes His Word evident to me. Those lessons are many times reinforced by messages delivered by teaching pastors and sharing with others who study God's Word. I used to write the messages in the margins of my Bible. Needless to say, my Bible is filling up with messages. In 2006, I started to be more intentional about writing God's lessons to me in a journal. Because God is just sharing so much with me, I feel the burning need to share with others. (Jeremiah 20:9) I am hoping that through this blog, folks will join me as we read, hear God and discuss what we've learned. This isn't so we can simply increase our knowledge about God or to spout off Scripture to impress people. This is so we can really come to know God, and get a greater meaning of His truths so we can go out and live them. God said that if we love Him, then we will obey His commands. (John 4:23-24) And James said don't just listen to (or read) the Word and think that's good enough; you're just deceiving yourself. Live the Word. (Rose's paraphrase of James 1:22) It's similar to this great quote people are passing around now... Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. So, join me as we learn from God and what He wants us to do. Then let's encourage one another to live it as a testimony to God so that people know He is who He says He is.



Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Holy Spirit is Your Teacher

Sometimes when we approach Bible study, we think we're not educated sufficiently to understand the meaning of God's Word. Actually, I have a family member who has told me that I'm not qualified to interpret the Bible and by studying the Bible, I'm doing my family more harm than good. (Very myopic thinking.) Since I had a desire to read and understand the Bible to get closer to God and studying the Bible wasn't encouraged when I was young, in college I took "The Old Testament as Literature" simply so I could study the Bible. That class was comprised of a small collection of students who also wanted to read the Bible taking the class for the justified excuse to open the Book. I was relieved to know I wasn't the only one.

A couple of years ago, I facilitated a series of Bible study classes called "Disciple." The first year was just four ladies who also, like me, wanted to study God's Word and for whatever reason never did. They came with their brand new Bibles, eager to read. When I told them they could write notes in the margins of their Bibles as God opens the Word's meaning to them, they looked shocked. One lady, a dear friend of mine, said, "But the edges of the pages have gold! It's OK to write in the Bible?!" I said yes. God wants to be in relationship and share with you through Jesus and His Word. Write His explanations to you in your Bible so over the years you will see the evidence of Him in your life. Although the ladies were hesitant at first, by the end of that first year they had bookmarks, tabs and notes in the margins! Their Bibles reflected the loving relationship of student to teacher, child to parent, woman to God Himself. What a testimony each person has!

I can attest to the fact that the Holy Spirit is the one and only teacher necessary to learn His Word. As I study, suddenly a passage makes sense. It could be a passage I have read and/or heard numerous times and remained meaningless to me. Now, the meaning is evident and it begins to connect with other Scripture from all over the Bible. This is the Holy Spirit - no one else but Him. In 1 John 2:20 and 27, John reminds us whose we are and the promise that is alive and active within us. John says we don't need anyone to teach us but as His Spirit leads us. The Holy Spirit will teach all of us the meaning of God's Word. Over the years, with my inability to know everything and my lack of formal studies in Theology, to understand God's Word with clarity is beyond my capabilities yet many times I do understand. I can only attribute this to the Holy Spirit teaching me.

Many times when I am studying and stuck on a passage, I'll ask God what it means. Typically within a few short days - Bam! - the meaning is given. Sometimes I read it in the Bible, sometimes I hear it on the radio through one of the teaching pastors I follow or online or in church or during Family (Small) Group or a combination of places. That's when I truly know God is answering my question.

I'll admit, some days I make very little time for God and His Word or completely leave it out for the day. That's when I put the radio on when I'm getting ready in the morning or driving during the day and listen to one of the pastors teach. Just to hear God's Word when I have starved myself that day suddenly brings peace to me and a reassurance that God is merciful to me even when I intentionally squeeze Him out of my morning.

Over the years, I have relied on some solid teachers to listen to who are strong in God's Word. Here are just some that are easier to find in the Florida area (update May 4, 2015).

Are there any more pastors to recommend? Please add in your comments below.

Keep reading and praying and living out what God's Spirit teaches you! Please share what God is teaching you!

2 comments:

  1. I love the podcasts from SE Christian Church in Louisville, KY.

    Almost 21 months ago, I started a plan to read the Bible through in one year. Turned into a two year plan, but I'm on track to finish at the end of this year. What's helped me, althought it makes the process slower, is to use Max Lucado's Devotional Bible to guide me through. He has devotionals that go with each chapter or chapters of the Bible. The writes for the devotionals are varied - Charles Swindoll, Billy Graham, Joni Erikson Tada - are just a few.

    I read the "situation" first, which sets up the reading, than I switch to my TNIV Bible, just b/c I like that better and that's where I keep my notes (and yes, I finally started writing in my Bible) and then I finish reading the observation, inspiration and application in the devotional.

    I can't tell you how many times my specific reading for the day has been so relevant to something going on in my life.

    I was a slow bloomer to come to reading the Word - maybe it's a Catholic thing, but once I really started digging in, I started getting really excited about what God is revealing to me.

    Doesn't matter how late you start in life - you just need to start :) God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jeanne, for sharing and for your encouragement. So happy you're reading the Word! You go, girl! It's great isn't it... you read and God feeds!

    ReplyDelete